Introduction

Welcome to my blog. The title originates when my primary athletic activity was competitive walking, but now that I am back to running it also includes that.

Not all content is accessible from the main page: for example, the rogaines, racewalking, and ultramarathon pages all include content that is only accessible from those pages.

Ultramarathons

Ultramarathons are any event longer than the standard marathon distance of 26.2 miles / 42.195km. Standard distances for ultras are 50km, 50 miles, 100km, and 100 miles. There are also 12 hour and 24 hour track runs, and multi-day "stage races".

I have currently (September 2012) completed 30 ultramarathons, plus 1 DNF at about 66km at the Molesworth Run. Reports for most events are provided below.

See also

Rogaines

Rogaining is the sport of long distance cross-country navigation. Events can be as short as 2-3 hours or the standard 24 hours. Teamwork, endurance, competition and an appreciation for the natural environment are features of the sport. Rogaining involves both route planning and navigation between checkpoints using a variety of map types.

GN Phillips and RJ Phillips, Rogaining, 3rd ed, 2000



The two main umbrella organisations for rogaining in New Zealand are: My reports for selected events are provided below.


Hiking and Mountains

The Hiking, Trail Running, and Mountains pages are all inter-related, but with some subtle differences:
  • Hiking is not an organised race, and may include Coastal Adventures, activities in the Mountains, and hiking in other locations;
  • Trail Running covers organised events, some in the mountains, but others on local hills and trails; and
  • The Mountains category covers both events and hiking in various places that can be classed as mountains.


  • Racewalking

    Racewalking only has to meet two technical requirements:
    • no loss of contact, as judged by the human eye; and
    • the leg has to be straight from the moment of first contact until it is upright.
    More detailed rules are here.

    I'm not particularly good at racewalking, often falling foul of the straight leg rule. But I still give it a go and here are the results of my endeavours.


    Running

    This blog is primarily about my walking activities, but sometimes I do run. Here are reports for events where I have run.

    Shorter Races

    I classify events as ultramarathons, marathons, rogaines, and "shorter events". So a "shorter event" is just something that is shorter than a marathon and is not a rogaine. Consequently there's a mixed bag in here: running, racewalking, half marathons, 10k and 5k races, , etc.


    Saturday, December 10, 2005

    Wanganui 3 Bridges Marathon 2005

    Wang2005_Start
    The walkers' start
    This was supposed to be training for an ultra that was to be held in February 2006, but the ultra was cancelled and this became the main event.

    I was hopeful that I might be able to break 5hrs, but on the day it didn't work out. The day that had been forecast to have heavy rain dawned with an overcast sky and a few light showers, but then cleared up and became very hot and humid. The conditions seemed to take their toll on a large proportion of the field across both the full and half marathons, with many people recording slow times and some cramping.

    At the start we took off fairly fast, and passed through the first 1km in 6:43. This was faster than planned, so it was time to back off the pace a little. This coincided with my shins locking up, and by the 3km mark I had dropped from 2nd to 6th! I had expected that the pace from my recent 5k races would have carried me through better than this, but it was obviously not to be.

    The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th kilometres were all slower than planned, but by the 5km mark I was back on pace. 2nd place was perhaps 500m in front - a large gap but not insurmountable. The marathon is a long race, and I knew that even if I didn't have speed on my side today, I would most likely have more experience and endurance than anyone other than the winner - Peter Baillie - and would be able to catch anyone who went out too fast over the first half.

    There were a few patches of light rain on this lap, all of which were very welcome. This was the last we saw of the rain, and the day became increasingly hot and humid.

    Wang2005_41km
    The End is Nigh: at about 41km
    The 1st lap passed in 1:16:20, about 80s slower than target. The 2nd lap was largely uneventful, with everyone at the front of the field appearing to hold their position. Now I was warmed up and had found my rhythm, and clocked 1:14:38 for the lap. This meant that I passed through the halfway mark in 2:30:59, only about 1 minute slower than planned.

    The 3rd lap was full of drama. Within 3.1km I moved back into 2nd place. By the second bridge (approx 6k) I was a good 25s up on 3rd place, a gap that continued to grow. By the end of the lap I was passed by the first of the half marathon walkers - the lead male at about 8km, and the lead woman at about 9km.

    By now the day was really starting to heat up, and everyone seemed to be feeling the effects. My pace slipped to 1:17:55, although my effort levels certainly hadn't dropped!

    Coming up to the end of the 3rd lap I decided to drop my camelbak and just rely on the drink stations for the final lap. The first of the marathon runners started to come past early in the 4th lap, and some were still passing me near the end of the lap. I concentrated hard on keeping my pace up, but the heat and distance continued to take their toll, and I recorded 1:22:58 for the lap.

    I finished in 5:11:53. Although slower than I'd hoped for, I was pleased with my performance given the conditions.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment